I am not sure why so many people are afraid to wear silk. I know that most garments have “dry clean only” tag, but that shouldn’t stop you. Silk can be hand washed (I use a mild detergent). It likes moisture. Not only that, it dries fast. When you wear a summery silk dress, it feels like you are not wearing anything at all.
Cool things about silk (from the wikipedia)
- Silks are produced by several other insects, but only the silk of moth caterpillars has been used for textile manufacturing. The best-known type of silk is obtained from the cocoons of the larvae of the mulberrysilkwormBombyx mori reared in captivity (sericulture
- The shimmering appearance of silk is due to the triangular prism-like structure of the silk fibre, which allows silk cloth to refract incoming light at different angles, thus producing different colors
- Silk fabric was first developed in ancient China, with some of the earliest examples found as early as 3500 BC. Legend gives credit for developing silk to a Chinese empress, Lei Zu (Hsi-Ling-Shih, Lei-Tzu). Silks were originally reserved for the Kings of China for their own use and gifts to others, but spread gradually through Chinese culture and trade both geographically and socially, and then to many regions of Asia.
- Silk is one of the strongest natural fibres but loses up to 20% of its strength when wet. It has a good moisture regain of 11%. Its elasticity is moderate to poor: if elongated even a small amount, it remains stretched. It can be weakened if exposed to too much sunlight. It may also be attacked by insects, especially if left dirty.
- Silk’s absorbency makes it comfortable to wear in warm weather and while active. Its low conductivity keeps warm air close to the skin during cold weather. It is often used for clothing such as shirts, ties, blouses, formal dresses, high fashion clothes, lingerie, pyjamas, robes, dress suits, sun dresses and kimonos.
- While on the decline now, due to artificial fibers, silk has had many industrial and commercial uses; parachutes, bicycle tires, comforter filling and artillerygunpowder bags.