Technically the dress is vintage. I bought some lace curtains at Savers (Claire thinks that these came right out of the Fingerhut catalog. I bought them thinking that they were deco enough to pass for 1920s) and a sheet for the“ lining. The ribbon is new. All together the dress cost under $10.
As usual, if something has gone extremely well, something else goes wrong. Shoes!“ Why can’t I find bone/ivory shoes. It’s Easter. I managed to find a pair online, only to return them for being too small. I ended up buying paint to match the ribbon and calling it a day.
If anyone finds some nice 20s/30s shoes in size 11 please let me know.
The final accessory was my hat. Another Saver’s find. This one came in at $4. $2 for the hat and $2 for the flowers (I ended up with 6 and only needed 3). Once again I tested the strength of my Babylock sewing machine. I decided the hat was the wrong style. I wanted a cloche. I ran a double row of zig-zag stiches 2 inches from the edge of the hat, then trimmed off the excess. I ran an extra row of stitches over the edge. Next I soaked the hat in water and Woolite and reshaped it as it dried. I used the sewing machine to tack up the brim and hand stitched the flowers in.