I have a new “strong” jacket for my collection (don’t ask why I have a thing for tailored jackets of violence).
My friend Claire hooked me up with a vintage wool jacket in need of repair. The moths had gone at it.
I knew I needed to patch the shoulder but the question was how. Then I remembered the English style riding/hunting jackets that had a patch over the shoulder for shooting. SWEET! Problem solved (and ironically everyone and their mom has incorporated that into their designs this fall).
The first step was to remove the giant shoulder pads. If a jacket is cut properly, there is a spot in the lining that can be unstitched to access the inside of the jacket. Try the sleeves or the center back.
Step 2 was to make a pattern for the shoulder patch. I decided to go all out and make elbow patches and pockets as well.
Step 3 was to lay out the pattern and add a seam allowance to it (1/2 inch or so). Then flip the patches to the right side and press them out.
Step 4 pin on the patches and stitch them down. Since the jacket was pretty worn, I decided to stitch through the wool and the lining.
Here is the finished product (all I need is some riding boots).